Römerberg in Frankfurt
Frankfurt was almost elected the capital of West Germanyin 1949. However, the beautiful town on Main become the home of the largest stock exchange inEuropeand the home of the European Central Bank. It is Germany’s financial capital. Even if the city is relatively small,Frankfurtis a very large financial centre. Most of the city attractions and the historic sights are in the Old Town (Altstadt). The old town is quite small and can be visited on foot. The main attraction in Altstadt is Römerberg and for the visitors, this represents the first stop on the city tour.
Römerberg is a beautiful square in Frankfurt’s Old Town with a famous beautiful fountain in its centre. The square is bordered by picturesque historic houses. Even from the 12th century Römerberg was the home of many German trade fairs. The fairs were attracting merchants from Italy and France, but today they attract merchants and visitors from all over the continent. The old markets developed into the famous international fair called Frankfurt Messe, but the square is the site of all kind of festivities. Each house or group of houses in Römerberg bears a name. Ostzeile is a row of six half-timbered houses dating from the 15th century in the east side of the square. The houses were reconstructed in the 18th century but unfortunately they were damaged during the war bombing. Some of the buildings, including Römer, were reconstructed soon after the war, but Oszeile was only rebuilt in 1981.
The fountain of justice or the Gerechtigkeitsbrunnen in the square centre is a beautiful sculpted fountain built in 1543. Its name is given by the statue in the middle of it. The fountain has the sculpture of goddess Justitia holding the scales of justice.
Museums and churches in Römerberg
The Historisches Museum is located in the south of the Römerberg. This museum tells the story of Frankfurt from the Middle Ages to the 20th century, including its post-war destruction. The museum even displays a miniature of the Römerberg square and it also shows models of the city during the Middle Ages. Alte Nikolaikirche is a beautiful old church which stands right in front of the museums. The small Gothic church was built in the 11th century. This church became the official city chapel during the 15th century. The bells of this small church ring each day at 9, 12 and 17.